Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Murder in the Rye: The Case of the Olive Ridleys

So they tell me you are

Building a shipyard here

 

Olive Ridleys?

What’s that?

 

Miniaturize them to cocktail shrimps

Mr. Tata roars

Serve them with eviction papers

Tell them to jump off the EAC[1]

At the Nicobar coast…

 

Ah, Mr. Tata, Mr. Tata

Such wisdom

Such verve

Such out-of-the-box thinking

 

The value of industry

Outweighs the needs

Of rootless terrapins

Some argue

Let’s not spoil the

India shining party

Talkin such malarkey

 

Environmental impact?

WE ARE THE ENVIRONMENT

Thunder the titans of commerce & industry

Rape, pillage, rout, and plunder

The soil from under

The skies floating above

 

In twenty years Mr. Tata

In twenty years

You will be just another plaque on the wall

What will it say I wonder

Another Ozymandias wreck?

“I am the prince of the all that I survey”

Over the shifting desert sands

Dead prince

over

Dead habitats

Destroyed ecologies

 

Or will it say something different?

I wonder

I wonder


[1] East Australian Current

3 comments:

Norbert said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Norbert said...

Hi,

Thanks for blogging about the plight of endangered Olive Ridley turtles due to the Tata's proposed Dhamra port. Could you send me an email? We need your help again now. Will let you know what we're planning to do and how you can help us.

Thanks,
nlincoln(at)greenpeace(dot)org

Norbert said...

If the provided email address does not work, then please contact me at,

nlincoln(at)in(dot)greenpeace(dot)org